The Breather is an evidenced-based respiratory muscle strength training device that trains both inspiratory and expiratory muscles. The device requires inspiratory effort to train inspiratory muscles, and expiratory effort for expiratory muscles by inhaling or exhaling through a mouth piece against resistance. The dial can be adjusted for different resistance levels.
Benefits of RMST:
- Inspiratory muscles: diaphragm, external intercostals, accessory muscles of neck.
- Expiratory muscles: internal intercostals, abdominals.
- Promotes diaphragmatic breathing.
- Generates improved airflow through vocal folds.
- Reduces shortness of breath.
- Improves blood flow to resting and exercising limbs
- Helps in movement of hyolaryngeal complex.
- Improves respiratory support for safe swallow function.
- Improves protective cough and assists in airway clearance
The Breather can be effective for patients with tracheostomy or mechanical ventilation for ventilator weaning. Respiratory muscles may fatigue rapidly from disuse as a mechanical ventilator may provide much of the work of breathing. The patient may breathe spontaneously a few times per minute, but may not have the opportunity to breathe normally on his/her own or to fully use his/her own respiratory muscles. Placing the patient on a T-tube 1/2 hour at a time, etc. is also often too much for those with severe respiratory dysfunction or advanced COPD patients. Respiratory muscle training, even for minutes at a time, may strengthen the respiratory muscles.
Receive a free download for a protocol for tracheostomy and/or ventilator patients with purchase of The Breather.
Conditions Supported by RMST:
- Ventilator/Tracheostomy Weaning
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Vocal fold pathologies
- Spinal cord injury
- Sleep apnea
- Anyone interested in improving speech, swallowing, and breathing.
Respiratory Impaired Range: -52 cmH2O to +31 cmH2O
Healthy Adult Range: -243 cmH2O to +126 cmH2O
Settings: 6 Inspiratory, 5 Expiratory
Dimensions: 129 x 43 x 46mm
Weight: 1.6 oz
Use: Single User Device
Registration: FDA Class 1 #: 1058052
Part #: BR2